To serve 4:
- 16 FloGro Fresh King Prawns
- 100ml Water
- 60ml Olive Oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 100g Nduja (or similar soft spicy sausage)
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 400ml Passatta
- 100g Plan Flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2 Eggs, beaten
75g Panko breadcrumbs
- Remove the heads and shells from the prawns and place in a pan, along with the water and olive oil.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, mashing the prawn shells and heads once or twice during the simmering.
- Strain the liquid from the prawn shells into a frying pan. Boil this liquid to evaporate off most of the the water, then add the onion, garlic, paprika, sugar and nduja.
- Simmer gently for 20 to 30 mins, breaking up the nduja into the sauce.
- Blitz the sauce carefully using a hand blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Now devein the prawns and cover them by dragging them through the seasoned flour, then the beaten egg and finally through the breadcrumbs.
- Fry, in 2 or 3 batches, in a deep fat fryer at 170°C, for about 2 minutes.
- Serve 4 prawns per person on a plate along with the dipping sauce and a wedge of lemon.