Our Christmas 2020 recipe competition winner is Banh Tom- a fantastic imaginative dish originating from Indonesia and perfect for sharing with family and friends over Christmas!
Our winner Neha said: “We’re really missing travelling this year so planning to add a little spice throughout this festive season. These Banh Tom are brilliant as appetisers or starters, and really bring the sweet FloGro Fresh King Prawns to life!”
To make about 10 fritters:
- 400g sweet potatoes
- 16 large FloGro Fresh King Prawns
- 75g rice flour
- 75g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1 red birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 soft lettuce, broken into leaves
- A handful of coriander & mint
- First make nuoc cham sauce by mixing lime juice, fish sauce, honey, garlic and chilli in a small bowl – adjust taste as necessary, this should be salty, sweet, sour and spicy.
- Peel and grate or mandolin sweet potatoes into long shreds (large grate side), place into a bowl with flours, egg, salt, turmeric & baking powder and combine. You won’t need to add water as moisture from potatoes and egg will bind ingredients together.
- Peel prawns if needed – chop 6 into small pieces and mix through batter and then mix through remaining whole prawns.
- Heat approx. 3cm of oil in a large saucepan, take a handful of batter which must include 1 whole prawn coated with batter and potatoes. Carefully place 2 or 3 of these nests into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve with lettuce, herbs and nuoc cham – to eat, wrap a fritter in lettuce with a few sprigs of herbs, dip into the nuoc cham and enjoy.